My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Will the iPad 2 help me as an author?

Last night I wrote one of my blog posts on my iPad. I only have the first version of the iPad but it's been something I've carried around with me now for nearly a year. During that time I've gotten to know just what I can and can't do with it. And sometimes I've even been surprised.

The most important thing I've discovered about the iPad is that a lot of its use depends on the applications it runs. Over the course of the last year so those apps have improved - they have become better and more relevant tools to use on the iPad. Take last night for instance. I wrote my blog post using a tool called iA Writer. This app is only $0.99 in the App store and is the most simple of apps to use. All it can do is record text. There is no real formatting to speak of and the font is a pretty mono-type. But therein lies its beauty. You can't go wrong with it and it's really easy to write a few paragraphs. Would I want to use it to write book chapters? I'm not so sure about that. Maybe I'll try that out soon and let you know.

Anyway, onto today's announcement of the iPad 2. Well it seems there were no real surprises. Lighter; thinner; faster; cameras on the front and back. Oh, and a gyroscope. And that's about it. So, will I be able to benefit more from an iPad 2 as a writer? Maybe not just yet but then there again, I am pretty happy at the moment with what I have. It's a fairly good vehicle already for typing, certainly no worse than the cramped keyboard I purchased at the weekend for my PC. It just lacks that tactile feedback. Technology is an interesting beast and I for one embrace it on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment