My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Bulimic Shopper

Chatting with a friend last night, he coined a phrase that stuck with me. Namely the bulimic shopper. What's a bulimic shopper? It's someone that goes to the store, buys a load of clothes and then a few days later, through guilt or whatever, returns most of them.

But it made me think. How many of us do the same sort of thing with something else in our lives? Maybe we overindulge in watching sports, only to promise to stay away from it for the next week. Or maybe it's the trip to the pub. We overindulge one night and don't go there in punishment to ourselves for another few days. Or maybe it's the book collector that goes to B&N, buys $100 worth of books and has to return $50 of them the next day.

I'm sure we've all been a little bulimic with something at some time or other. Of course, there's a serious side to the word bulimia and I'm not trying to lessen the seriousness of that condition, merely using a word to demonstrate its use in other manifestations. After all, that's what writers do.

So, here's to the bulimic shopper; the bulimic pub visitor; the bulimic sports watcher; the bulimic book buyer - may you recognize your condition for what it is and moderate accordingly... I don't want to be responsible for introducing a new term to the English language.

Have a great weekend...

These have been some 'utterances from an overcrowded mind.'

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I never knew I was a bulimic shopper until you mentioned buying books, only to return half... yeah... Been there. :o) ~RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a bulimic shopper for as long as I can remember, but I don't even get out of the store before I've put everything back. Saves a trip back to the store to return it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have observed a solid sober man driven
    perfectly mad for the time being by two glasses of so-called rum, supplied to him at one of them shanties.
    The breaking-in of young wild steers to operate inside the team seemed
    somewhat cruel. Juni, als Bombenanschläge in Kathmandu und anderen Städten Nepals acht Tote und 22 Verletzte forderten.


    Feel free to surf to my web-site; sites like the pirate bay.org 2012

    ReplyDelete