My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Monday, January 16, 2012

Juice Fast - Day 5 (Summary)

Yay, I am halfway through my juice fast!

Day five was not really a day of any note. It was actually a little of a bleh day.

Let's get straight on with the comments:
  • Skin - The blotches on my face are still no worse nor better than yesterday. I thought there may have been some change by now
  • Energy - My energy was good yesterday. It was noticeably a little lower than the day before and it appears my body has started to process things a little different. I may need to start feeding it more juice as it seems to have gone into a little semi-hibernation
  • Sleep - I slept really well and awoke early. I had to force myself back to sleep for a couple of hours
  • Hunger - I wasn't really hungry yesterday although my stomach did grumble a few times. I think psychologically I am getting used to the lack of food, although maybe my body is disagreeing with that conclusion. Today I am going to try and drink a lot more juice and see what happens. I drank about 50oz of juice during the day and about 90oz of water
  • Aches & Pains - None
  • Total Pounds Lost - 6.0 (0.4 yesterday)
  • General Comments -   So, halfway through my ten day challenge and still on course! I have to admit I was very tempted today to cheat, walking around the local grocery store. But I held out and managed to get through the day drinking only my juices and water. I suppose it's all downhill from here, but no doubt there will be challenges along the way. I've got into a routine with the drinking and juicing and I'm not generally hungry during the day. 
The most amazing part of all this for me has been my increased sense of smell and taste. It's really, really weird! I've never had a great sense of smell but these last few days I have been able to smell even the subtlest of smells. My wife was eating some raw carrots and peppers in the afternoon and I could smell the peppers as clear as anything, right across the room. Trust me, this has never happened before!

I've been thinking a lot today about how and what I want to eat as a lifestyle when I finish my juice fast and I think I've just about sorted it in my mind. At this point I think I'm going to be eating a 70% raw diet, supplemented with some beans and nuts. I think I've ruled out eating bread, and any wheat actually, so that rules out most pastas too. Of course meat will be out, but I may occasionally have some sushi or sashimi. As I'll be eating mostly raw, I will try and avoid most fried food too (I do like a portion of fries once in a while!). I also think I'll continue to juice a few meals here and there and also do another juice fast later in the year. Hmmm, I guess we'll have to have a follow up later, won't we?

Anyway, back to the juice fast. I am mostly enjoying the juices I am drinking. They are all fresh and tasty, it's just that I am missing eating other foods too. It's amazing the variety of juices that can be made. Today for example I added some mint, green onions, beet and a parsnip to a very veggie drink and the result was very tasty and a little bit spicy. My mouth is actually salivating just writing this down! Crazy.

So, bring on the last few days!

You can read the complete Juice Fast series by clicking the link HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on hitting the halfway point! If you are looking to avoid wheat because of the gluten check out quinoa. It's not a terrible substitute although I would have to say it's a bit more like rice than pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I've read about quinoa, but never tried it, unless maybe as a breakfast cereal.

    The main reason for the avoidance of wheat is because one of my big weaknesses is for bread (pasta is more secondary). I'm not sure if I'm allergic to it or not, but I just want to avoid that risk going forward - and also stop any chance of pigging out on bread!

    ReplyDelete