My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Friday, May 13, 2011

Blogging for Success - How We Rely on Social Marketing for Brand Definition

It's been an interesting twenty-four hours. Yesterday Google's Blogger went offline. It is a service that is used by many, many millions of people. Initially the service went into read-only mode - no one could make any new posts, and then later Google rolled back the Blogger database to Wednesday. As of the time of writing I am still missing many of my updates. Hopefully there will be restored soon.

But it got me to thinking, if I couldn't blog then how else will I get my messages out to the Internet? Of course there's Facebook and there's Twitter, but they each serve a different purpose than a blog. I can write long detailed blog posts about all sorts of things and people read through these posts. I have been slowly building my blog traffic these last couple of months and I am now averaging about 500 hits a day. Now that's not a lot in the scheme of things (but it does put me in a very high percentile of blogs), but that combination along with my 2,000 Facebook friends and 53,000 Twitter followers means my messages have the potential to reach millions of people through referred links, etc. Anyone that is trying to build a brand needs to have every option available to them and just having my blog in the state it was in yesterday gave me slight cause for panic. I hope the updates I made to my pages get put back as soon as possible.

Yes, there are lots of great things about Social Marketing and the modern world we live in, but it just goes to show how reliant we also become on it. I'll be spending the remainder of my day repairing my brand definition - something that Google or anybody else will never and could never compensate me for.

Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment