My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Indie Author Jones & His Temples Of Doom

Whichever way you cut it, just writing a good book isn't going to make you rich. In fact, writing a good book is only the beginning of the process of becoming a successfully published author. Down the path lie challenges galore. This is a job for Indie Author Jones!

As Indie Authors we all need to have the wits and tenacity of a swash-buckling hero. We will need to fight our way through jungles of despair, battle evil naysayers, and fight energetically to make our name well-known. Then, when that is done, the fight will be only just beginning. From that point forward we will have to remain front and foremost in people's minds, and continue to market ourselves; lest we should become nothing more than a faint glimmer in our readers' memory. All this is doing my head in!

When I signed up to be an Indie Author no one told me it was going to be this challenging. No one took me to one side and said, "Son, you need to know what you're getting yourself into." No, instead everyone said words to the effect of, "Son, welcome aboard the Indie Author express. We're all going places." Unfortunately it's a train with an unknown destination, and full of people hanging on for the ride.

So it's time to put on my Indie Author Jones hat, and forge my own way through those jungles. I'm going to have to make my own name for myself and constantly rub at my temples of doom to chase away the daily headaches. But I have wits and tenacity on my side. And more importantly than that, I have resolve. I am not a hanger-on in this business, but an entrepreneur. I will try everything I can to get my name out there so that my legacy of novels can be read and later discarded by future generations. I am Indie Author Jones. Who are you?

2 comments:

  1. It does, at times, feel that way, doesn't it? ;o) I have a really smartypants comment about indie's whip & 50 Shades but I'll keep it to myself for now! lol

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you IAJ. Being part of the indie scene can be heartwarming and on the one hand, it's nice to know there are lots of us out there all fighting the same challenges. On the other hand...there are lots of us out there...!

    One thing I'm scared to do at present is measure how much time I spend trying to 'get my name out there' as opposed to how much time I spend actually writing.

    ReplyDelete