My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Monday, August 12, 2013

Author Interview: W.P. Smith

Today I am pleased to present to you all the 84th in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the worried, but dream-following, W.P. Smith, and our conversation went something like this:

Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals?
W.P.:  I like to write in the early am hours

Paul:  What types of books do you like to read? And who are your favorite authors?
W.P.:  Romance, Fantasy, Thrillers, no specific genre. One great indie is Gary Henry. I fell in love with America Goddesses. Why? Because the book made women super-heroines

Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
W.P.:  Not sure about what they would see, hopefully they see a good heart.

Paul:  What is a typical day for you?
W.P.:  Breakfast, housework, time with my Son. Getting my Husband off to work at 3pm then settling in for an evening of writing or just catching up on emails!

Paul:  Do you have a favorite character in each of your series, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why?
W.P.:  Mama. She just always had the best advice to give me. No matter what, seems she was always right.

Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
W.P.:  I make time because I love writing.

Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
W.P.:  I’m scared to death of publishing!

Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
W.P.:  Run with them. They’ve been in my head for years and it’s easy to spill them to paper.

Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
W.P.:  Editing, oh Lord. I do most of it myself, but I have an editor who keeps me on the right path when I stray too far.

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it.
W.P.:  Summer Winds follows a girl at 14 through stages of her life and the feelings which make her who she is today. Young love, first love, to a lifetime of love with a man she met at 14. It’s a continuing novel series, so Summer Winds takes you through the first 6 years approximately.

Paul:  What inspired you to write this book?
My Mother. She kept my journals from when I was 15 and gave them to me at Christmas 2012. Her words were “it’s time.” Simple as that. January 2013 I began Summer Winds.

Paul:  Do you also write any poetry, non-fiction or short stories?
W.P.:  I have a few short stories I’m almost ready to publish and I do have some self poems but I’m not planning to publish poems. I do write songs and have given several away.

Paul:  Do you have any pieces of work that will never see the light of day?
W.P.:  No. If I can write it, the world needs to read it I think!

Paul:  How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’?
W.P.:  As much marketing as I can. I promote on social media like twitter and facebook but using my local resources has proven to be a great marketing tool.

Paul:  What’s your favorite / least favorite aspect of your writing life?
W.P.:  Writing period is my favorite aspect. Books or blogs, I love to talk! Has anything surprised you? Sure, that there is so much inside my head to write about.

Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing?
W.P.:  Spend time with family. Being outdoors running or walking, playing with the kids, bike riding. Writing is second to my family time.

Paul:  Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?

W.P.:  If I’m outside, I’m doing my best hobby. The best party trick I know is simply this “follow your dreams before it’s too late”. Life is way too short to wait on doing what you truly want to do.

Paul:  Thanks, W.P., that was very interesting. I wish you every success for the future.

About W.P. Smith: I grew up in East Tennessee. I come from a large family of five brothers and two sisters. We are scattered all around now which is surprising to me actually. My Mother is still living but I lost my father a few years back. I am a person that despises change, I fight it , but of course its coming whether any of us are ready or not!

I started writing journals when I was about 13. Any idea be it fiction or non, I just had to write it down. I had written a hundred of these things by the time I was 18. Momma kept them in her cedar chest stacked up neatly in a corner. I told her many times to throw them away but she kept them nonetheless. Several months back I got them from her. She is now 73 and I guess she figured it was time for me to take them. It took many days to read through them remembering each entry almost like it was yesterday.


W.P.'s Blog: W.P. Smith
W.P. on Twitter: @brknsunshine
W.P. on Facebook: W.P. Smith
W.P.'s latest book: Summer Winds (Amazon)


Follow Paul Dorset:      

No comments:

Post a Comment