My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Thursday, June 21, 2012

Writing Experiment #33 - Would You Like To Be A Beta Reader?

First question, just what is a beta reader? For those of you that are not tightly bound to the writing industry, a beta reader is someone who, in turn for receiving an early copy of a book, agrees to check through it for inconsistencies, slow plotlines, grammar mistakes, etc., and then provide feedback to the author before the book is actually released.

If you have been following my blog, you will know that I have been engaging in an online writing experiment. During the past couple of months I have been updating my blog with the plot and manuscript for Ryann, my soon to be released novella. Well, the novella is about ready to be let loose to a small portion of the public. Would you like to be one of those people?

If you say 'yes' I will send you an electronic copy and some instructions. Then you get to read the book a couple of times and make comments about it under several categories. Finally you return those comments to me. I then read through all comments from all my beta readers and make whatever changes I deem necessary to the book, before it undergoes a final edit. I will, of course, be publishing some of the beta reader comments on my blog. Sound interesting? Then drop me an email to john@pauldorset.com. I would love to find four or five beta readers during the next week.



Title: Ryann
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Wordcount: 30,000


Ryann is the story of a thirteen year-old girl who works as a servant for a tyrant of a master, and longs for the day when she can buy her freedom. The novella will serve as the introduction to a new fantasy series I will start writing in 2013.

6 comments:

  1. Did you get any beta readers yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Want one? :-) Send to kkrafts58@yahoo.com
    I'll make it a priority. I am reading New Blood right now. Was going to give you a surprise review :-) But will set it aside for a moment to be a beta reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me this is the first book in a series :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This novella is a prologue to a new series I will start writing in 2013 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, because I can't wait to see what happens next :-)

      Delete