My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Author Interview: Paul Rice


Today I am pleased to present to you all the second in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the sleep-deprived Paul Rice and our conversation went something like this:

Paul: Do you have any writing rituals?
Paul Rice: I have to have tea; I can barely write without it. I also have to correct misspellings; I’m unable to leave them for some other time.

Paul: What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Why?
Paul Rice: I’ve always liked science fiction. I didn’t know it a year ago, but after sampling other Indie authors’ works, I found that I also like genres such as crime mysteries. I usually read ebooks on my phone during my daily train commute. I stayed up late last night reading Fatal Exchange by Russell Blake, because I couldn’t wait for the rest of the week to find out how it ended! Other Indie authors I’ve recently read include Terri Long, Daniel Adams, Suzie Carr, Nicholas Rose, Lissette Manning, Frederick Brooke, Wodke Hawkinson, Lisa Stull, Philip Catshill, and many more.


Paul: If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
Paul Rice: I try to write with my feelings. What a person stepping into my creative process would probably experience would be extensions of my feelings as they interacted with ideas, images, sensations, and beliefs.


Paul: What is a typical day for you? 
Paul Rice: I’ve been a poor sleeper the past few years. I get up somewhere between 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. after sleeping less than eight hours. I write until 6:30 a.m., and then it’s time to get ready for work. Ten or eleven hours later, I return, and run errands or do other household necessities. I haven’t watched any television for two months.

Paul: In all the years you’ve been publishing your work, what is the biggest mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it? 
Paul Rice: I published four short eBooks during the past year. Each one had its own lesson to teach me. The first one’s lesson was to use a copy editor. The second one was to use a graphic artist. The lesson of the third eBook was to engage my audience. The latest eBook is trying to teach me to see things as they are, and not to mistake reality for how I want things to be. I’m stubbornly resisting, though. :)

Paul: How do you find the time to write?
Paul Rice: I exchange sleep for writing time. A side effect of the exchange is that I’m less productive at my day job. After a while, there just so much caffeine a person can drink before it doesn’t do any good in the workplace.

Paul: What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
Paul Rice: Three of my eBooks are essentially free, because I’ve republished them as a series of blog posts.

Paul: What led to you going your own way as a self-published author?
Paul Rice: I never considered any other method than independently publishing. I don’t see how else I can say what I want to say when I want to say it. It is fast, it is efficient, and my work can have a long lifetime here in the Digital Age.

Paul: Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Paul Rice:  I outline each work before I start. I try to keep the outline updated, especially when I have a co-author. The outline remains broad, and allows my co-author and myself plenty of room to write what we need to express.

Paul: Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
Paul Rice: I’m not at the point where I can write well-formed sections of text that don’t require editing.

Paul: What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it
Paul Rice: My most recent work is Pimp ur Blog Episode Two: Increase Search Results with Articles and Feeds. My co-author, Messie Jessie, and I are in the middle of writing the Pimp ur Blog series for authors and bloggers with the idea that discoverability is the key here in the Digital Age. The first two episodes show many ways to get into Google search results for relevant search terms so that people will discover your book and blog. The third eBook in the series is due out in August, with the title Pimp ur Blog Episode Three: Working with Amazon and Google.

Paul: What inspired you to write this book?
Paul Rice: I was inspired by my co-author, Messie Jessie, who makes an effort to put it all out there in her blog. She wasn’t getting the recognition I thought her work deserved, so I ran a few experiments with her permission to enhance her blog’s discoverability, at least to the search engines. When the various methods worked, she and I teamed up to tell others about the techniques via the Pimp ur Blog series.

Paul: How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’?
Paul Rice: I am always on the lookout for different marketing avenues. I came across one yesterday while reading a blog post where a guy was complaining about Amazon’s take. One of the things he did about it was to sell “direct” through Gumroad.com. You give them your PayPal email, upload your eBook files, and Gumroad will provide a selling link to put wherever you want. When your customers click that link on your blog, it looks like the sale is made directly from your blog. And you, the author, get 95% of the sales price instead of the much lower percentages offered by Amazon, B&N, etc.!

Paul: What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
Paul Rice: My life is in a lot of turmoil this year. I’ll publish a piece of fiction later this year that has a lot of my recent factual experiences as its base. Though it hasn’t happened yet here at mid-year, I still hold out the hope that this year will be a turnaround year for me socially.

Paul: Well thank you, Paul. I hope it hasn't been too confusing for our readers with all the Pauls! I wish you every success for the future.


About Paul Rice: I work as a software developer for my day job.

In 2012 so far, I have co-authored with Messie Jessie the first two eBooks of the Pimp ur Blog series, Pimp ur Blog Episode One: Boost Search Results with Social Bookmarking, and Pimp ur Blog Episode Two: Increase Search Results with Articles and Feeds.

I used to have a lot of interest in consumer education topics, as shown by the out-of-print titles that I wrote and marketed to libraries in the late 1980s. With my two 2011 eBooks, Getting Well for the First Time, and When Do I Get to Live My Own Life?, I'm now more interested in human development and psychology.

Paul's Blog: PimpUrBlog
Paul on Facebook:  facebook.com/PaulFRice
Paul on Twitter: @GettingWell4
Paul's latest book: Pimp ur Blog Episode Two (Amazon)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the opportunity! I hope that authors will look at this easy way to sell direct, and add it to their marketing options.

    ReplyDelete