My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Saturday, June 23, 2012

Author Interview: Karen Einsel

Today I am pleased to present to you all the first in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the wonderful Karen Einsel and our conversation went something like this:


Paul: Do you have any writing rituals?
Karen: I have to play and win a game of Spider solitaire and regular solitaire before I write J

Paul: What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Why?
Karen: Since I’ve started writing, I read all different genres by different authors, but my heart still belongs to Stephen King.

Paul: If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
Karen: A lot of people talking all at once. There’s constantly a story being played out and many conversations going on.

Paul: What is a typical day for you? 
Karen: Up before 6 a.m. Start the coffee and the computer, check emails, blog posts, and twitter. Then finally tell myself I need to accomplish something around 10 a.m. Housework, laundry, yard work, unless I’m writing; then there is no set schedule. Things get done when I need a break from my work.

Paul: Do you have a favorite character in each of your series, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why? 
Karen: No. I think I pretty much love my characters equally because they have different personalities and bring a different perspective to each story I write.

Paul: In all the years you’ve been publishing your work, what is the biggest mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it? 
Karen: Well I wish I could say years, but actually I just published my first book February 3, 2012 (My birthday) But my biggest mistake was when I published The Good Dr. Grant in April. I used Createspace for the print version again, but because I had one photo on the inside that I wanted in color, I choose full color interior and now I can’t list that version for less then $41.55 on Amazon. L I just finished reformatting it in the black and white version and it will be available next week for $12.99. A big difference!

Paul: How do you find the time to write?
Karen: I do a lot of multi tasking.

Paul: What is one thing you hope I do not tell my readers?
Karen: That when I get nervous, I tend to babble and I talk with my hands waving here and there, which ends up with me knocking the glass of wine out of your hand and spilling it all over the floor. I’m really a dork, but shh that’s our secret.

Paul: You are self-published, so what led to you going your own way?
Karen: You and Richard C Hale and just wanting to see what the process was of self publishing.

Paul: Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Karen: I get the idea in my head and just run with it!

Paul: Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
Karen: I am doing a lot of editing on my current WIP, but I believe the reason for that is that it is the second novel I wrote and I was still learning about writing. And I’m still learning!

Paul: Do you have to do much research for your stories?
Karen: No. Well I did have to research how to write a sex scene for the first book I wrote and then I researched what kind of complications a cow can have after giving birth for The Good Dr. Grant.

The Good Dr. Grant
Paul: What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it
Karen: My most recent book is The Good Dr. GrantGrant Graysen gets hired as the town veterinarian after Amy’s parents are killed in a head on collision, leaving Amy to take over her dad’s veterinarian practice.  Meeting the good Dr. Grant, Amy finds him to be quiet and reserved and she sets out on a mission to find and unleash a passion in him, but things get complicated when Tom, Amy’s best friend, suddenly takes an interest in her and to make matters worse, Amy’s ex-husband, Kent, shows up wanting to take Amy back to England with him.

Paul: What inspired you to write this book?
Karen: You know, I haven’t a clue.  I just started writing and didn’t even know where the plot would take me and I had a heck of a time trying to decide on the ending. I had wanted to write another novelette but it turned into approximately 190 pages for the e-book version and 330 pages for the print version. So much for a novelette.

Paul: Do you also write any poetry, non-fiction or short stories?
Karen: I do have two ideas for non-fiction. One is about health and happiness and the other is about having a child with leukemia.

Paul: Do you enter competitions? Are there any you could recommend?

Paul: How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’?
Karen: Mainly I tweet my books randomly every day. I do post on Facebook once or twice in the beginning when my book first comes out and then only when I offer it for free or at a reduced price. As for my brand, I tweet, post on Facebook, Goodreads, etc. usually every day and I have two blogs.

Paul: What’s your favorite / least favorite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you?
Karen: The initial writing phase is my favorite. Editing and revising are my least favorite and as for surprising me, it has to be my procrastination on the editing.

Paul: What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
Karen: I’m a crafter. I find it fascinating that you can take a single strand of yarn and a hook, and create an entire wardrobe. Or take a piece of plastic canvas, yarn and a needle, and create art work, gift baskets, party sets; anything your imagination can come up with. I also like to dabble in  woodworking.

I look at writing the same way. Start with a word, and a word becomes a sentence and then a paragraph, and before you know it you have a chapter.

Well that’s it J Thank you John, for inviting me to be interviewed on your blog. I had a wonderful time.

Paul: And thank you, Karen. This was most enjoyable. I wish you every success with your books.



About Karen: The idea of being a writer never crossed Karen’s mind, but after closing her gift shop in 2011 she found herself with too much time on her hands, and a story in her head. Taking pen and paper in hand she found a whole new world open up to her and she’s enjoying it immensely.



Karen's Blog: karensdifferentcorners
Karen on Facebook:  facebook.com/pages/Different-Corners
Karen on Twitter: @K_Einsel
Karen's latest book: The Good Dr. Grant (Amazon)


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview, Paul and Karen. I look forward to reading The Good Dr. Grant. x Wishing you both a brilliant day. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to meet Karen and her work via this interview! Great work, John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! It's always interesting to meet the author behind the stories and especially finding out how they go about writing. Karen - you seem very organised in the way you are going about building up a platform. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete