My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Saturday, September 22, 2012

Author Interview: Kerry Sparks

Today I am pleased to present to you all the twenty-first in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the concise Kerry Sparks and our conversation went something like this:


Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals?
Kerry:  No… I just write when I feel inspired.

Paul:  What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Why?
Kerry:  Middle grade fiction. Jeff Kinney aka Diary of a Wimpy Kid author… because that’s my writing style humorous.

Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
Kerry:  A rainbow… I have several writing projects going at once.

Paul:  What is a typical day for you? 
Kerry:  Right now I go to school online every day but I take sneak peeks at Facebook and Twitter. I try to promote my books by social media every now and then.

Paul:  Do you have a favorite character in each of your series, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why? 
Kerry:  I like my character “Pamela” from my Get Frosted books. She’s the stylish girl with all the cool clothes.

Paul:  In all the years you’ve been publishing your work, what is the biggest mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it? 
Kerry:  Doing book events that have 100 other authors involved. If you want to stand out or sell your books then smaller events that have less competition are best.

Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
Kerry:  Right now it’s hard. I have a break coming up so I plan to finish up some projects when I get a break.

Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
Kerry:  The ending of my fantasy book.

Paul:  If you are self-published, what led to you going your own way?
Kerry:  Too many rejection letters.

Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Kerry:  Idea and run with it.

Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
Kerry:  I have a few revisions here and there, but I wouldn’t say a lot. I know what I want to say in my stories, but I’m not perfect so I will back pedal sometimes and take things out or add chapters… things like that.

Paul:  Do you have to do much research for your stories?
Kerry:  No. I like to have my own voice, and I’m on a fantasy kick right now so no research needed.

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it
Kerry:  The Baby Inside Mrs. MazeNina thinks her fifth grade teacher Mrs. Maze is absolutely fabulous! Cousin Freddie disagrees. Freddie's suspicions are confirmed when Nina spots a baby's bird wing moving around in pregnant Mrs. Maze's belly. What's inside Mrs. Maze? The kids don't know, but they're determined to find out. With the help of their gym teacher, Mr. Quick, the puzzle pieces start coming together. But as one mystery unravels, another folds. Can Nina and Freddie trust Mr. Quick? And what will happen to the community of Agua Azul when Mrs. Maze gives birth to this "thing"? Find out in this magical fantasy for middle grade readers.

Paul:  What inspired you to write this book?
Kerry:  I wanted to have a book for boys and girls.

Paul:  Do you also write any poetry, non-fiction or short stories?
Kerry:  No. I stink at writing poetry.

Paul:  Do you have any pieces of work that will never see the light of day?
Kerry:  Maybe…

Paul:  Do you enter competitions? Are there any you could recommend?
Kerry:  No. I used to enter Highlights Magazine’s contest, but they kept asking me to pay for their workshop so I quit sending them stuff.

Paul:  How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’?
Kerry:  Just social media currently… the free stuff.

Paul:  What’s your favorite / least favorite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you?
Kerry:  Little respect… the amount of competition there is in 2012

Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
Kerry:  I can play Heart and Soul on the piano with my feet. Just kidding. That’s from Breakfast Club. Right now my baby is my hobby.

Paul:  Thanks, Kerry. I wish you the very best for the future.


About Kerry Sparks: Kerry Sparks is an author of pre-teen fantasy books.

Kerry on Twitter: @Sparkskerry
Kerry on Facebook: Kerry Sparks
Kerry's latest book: The Baby Inside Mrs. Maze (Amazon)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mr. Dorset for your hospitality. :0)
    Sincerely, Kerry Sparks

    ReplyDelete