My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Thursday, September 20, 2012

Author Interview: G.E.M. Thomas

Today I am pleased to present to you all the nineteenth in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the brief and concise G.E.M. Thomas and our conversation went something like this:


Paul:  Do you have any writing rituals?
G.E.M.:  Yes, write everyday.
Paul:  What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Why?
G.E.M.:  I read books for their practicality. Not much of what I read would be literature. Anything that touches on history I read.
Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
G.E.M.:  Neurons conntected in ways they never imagined.  Firing away at the most minor and abstract details perceived. Always growing, always excited, because my mind, all minds, naturally stay stimulated. So, in a sence they would see what goes on in themselves. 
Paul:  What is a typical day for you?
G.E.M.:  Everyday is different. But, spearfishing, surfing, fishing, hunting, jogging, cooking, writing, socializing, and partying with pretty women.
Paul:  Do you have a favorite character in each of your series, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why?
G.E.M.:  Not specifically. Each character is like a snowflake.
Paul:  In all the years you’ve been publishing your work, what is the biggest mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it?
G.E.M.:  Read three times every word, sentence, paragraph, page, chapter, completed work.  
Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
G.E.M.:  WWOOF'n The World Wide Opp. on Organic Farms enables me to work for food and a bed via 20/hrs a week. So, I'm a part time writer.
Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
G.E.M.:  That they are better writers than me.
Paul:  If you are self-published, what led to you going your own way?
G.E.M.:  It is a new industry. Every new industry naturally has elbow room to grow.
Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
G.E.M.:  Run with it. And I run fast.
Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
G.E.M.:  I write and write and then edit and edit. That's a tip.
Paul:  Do you have to do much research for your stories?
G.E.M.:  Absolutely.
Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it
G.E.M.:  My recent novel is Strong Roads: A Spanish Shipwreck Survivor in Ancient Hawaii's sequel, Strong Roads: Blues and Greens and Blood. This story is set where Alonso Truylos, after washing ashore the island, is launched into the aristocratic society. He is granted all luxuries by the highest echelon of the kingdom and a morganatic relationship develops with a woman. Jealousy towards Alonso Truylos ensues all around him, mainly from his closest friend. War breaks out between the brothers who control the polity. Alonso Truyos is forced into exile, for his own safety, into the deep jungles. A decision to return to society is made, despite understanding the implications.
Paul:  What inspired you to write this book?
G.E.M.:  My gut.
Paul:  Do you also write any poetry, non-fiction or short stories?
G.E.M.:  Yes. My poetry book is titled A Kaleidoscopic Explosion of Thought and my short story is titled A Dandy Dish.
Paul:  Do you enter competitions? Are there any you could recommend?
G.E.M.:  Yes. My debut novel ranked in the top 20% of the Summer Lit. Seminar.
Paul:  How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’?
G.E.M.:  Speak about it all day. Or check out my twitter acc. to get the lowdown.
Paul:  What’s your favorite / least favorite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you?
G.E.M.:  Least favorite would be the minutes that spin by while editing.
Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
G.E.M.:  Look good. 

Paul:  Well thanks, G.E.M.. I wish you all the best for the future.

P.S. G.E.M. would also like me to mention that he has a short story, A Dainty Dish, being published on October 1st. A Dainty Dish concerns a cooking contest in Los Angeles and the book will be FREE on October 1st and 2nd on Kindle.

About G.E.M. Thomas: As a child, in a suburban New Jersey town, I would be dropped off by my mom at art classes. It was here, I freely participated in making music, painting, creating sculptures, and writing. By the end of the day, I would be picked up having exercised my creative muscles. Time went on and as I grew into adolescents more and more stories were written. Happenings on distant worlds and futuristic themes like mining outer moons were produced and a character that floated alongside Huckleberry Finn too. I stopped writing fiction so much in high school and my college years. Graduation day arrived in 2009 and that morning, as I sat with my colleagues, the valedictorian justly gave an inspiring speech. In it he stated that a diploma is like a ticket for a train. But, it is your chose as to the destination. I sat there smiling and thinking how great it was as a metaphor. One month later, I was sitting on an airplane seat bound for Hawaii. It was in Hawaii where I would spend the next thirty months. Everyday, I would write a part of Strong Roads A Spanish Shipwreck Survivor in Ancient Hawaii and Strong Roads Blues and Greens and Blood, its sequel. The series are historical-fiction novels based off an ancient legend in Hawaii. The legend states 'pale-skinned' people washed ashore an island and these castaways became well established. I took this story and wound it up with my imagination to form volume one. The sequel is about the main character and his ascent to power in a foreign land, his deep love for a woman, and their struggles to survive together when unlimited political power is threatened by war. Obviously, an epic story of this magnitude is disputed by pundits. However, I do not care to prove it accurate or baseless. I want only to make readers aware of my work. In addition to the plot is the unbelievable, yet true, story of the environments where I wrote these novels. Quick example, in a tropical jungle one section of the sequel was written on my laptop only when hooked up to a fifty-five watt output solar panel. Why? Well, necessity had me earning my way around in the strangest of places. Room and board was exchanged by working in farms and hostels, ordinarily no more than twenty hours a week. So, I made space in my life as a part-time writer. Thus, resuming my love for writing and exploring language. Passions from my formative years that, like a phoenix, I again enjoy sharing.

G.E.M.'s Website: G.E.M. Thomas
G.E.M. on Twitter: @StrongRoads
G.E.M. on Facebook: G.E.M. Thomas
G.E.M.'s latest book: Strong Roads (Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment