My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Saturday, January 19, 2013

Author Interview: April Danann

Today I am pleased to present to you all the forty-seventh in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the Intuitive April Danann, and our conversation went something like this:


Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals?
April:  I write better and am more efficient with everything on the days I am fasting or detoxing. When I am fasting I find my mind is far clearer, my energy is excellent and the ideas, thoughts or words just start to flow. I fast regularly doing a 10 day cleanse most months as part of my overall lifestyle approach, so it has been an easy way to keep motivated with my writing.
Paul:  What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Why?
April:  I love to read nearly everything from Sci Fi to historical novels. One of my favorite authors is Diana Gabaldon with her Outlander series of books which bring in the historic element, time travel and modern day living. I love anything with time travel and interesting characters you feel you must get to know.
Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
April:  They would probably see other worlds! LOL As an Intuitive I used to work hard to stay focused on this world, but then I realized the benefits of being able to peek into several times, spaces and places and have embraced that side of me more and more. They would also see how much I think about food, cooking, nutrition and all of these interconnected threads leading back to health.
Paul:  What is a typical day for you?
April:  A typical day for me involves homeschooling my two children - but first we look after the animals. We have goats, geese, turkeys and ducks as well as a few pets such as canaries, turtle, dog, cat and a pond full of fish! Once they are sorted out first thing in the morning, we get going with some lessons. They are both involved in sport, dance, theater, sailing, Tai Kwon Do, rock climbing and so forth - so we do have a fairly busy week during the day. However, I still find time each day to write - usually once they are set up with their lessons and of course late at night.
Paul:  Do you have a favorite character in each of your series, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why?
April: My writing would be a bit different from most other authors - I write about walking the spiritual path taking lessons and information I myself have learned, and recording the journey. My other writing has been about my own recovery from cancer a number of years ago - it changed my entire life, started me off on my road to total commitment to better health in a medication free lifestyle. I healed myself by using only diet, lifestyle changes and of course positive visualization. And right now I am working on a recipe book to accompany The Pagan Diet - cooking is a passion for me. 
Paul:  In all the years you’ve been publishing your work, what is the biggest mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it?
April:  I have been writing for many years but only started putting my books out there about 6 years ago. Perhaps the one mistake I made was to listen to other people who were negative or fearful about my writing/lifestyle. Against my better judgment I deleted my first blog after some advice from a friend - I have since learned to never destroy any of my work, it's all a part of the writing process. I guess you could say I have learned to only listen to my heart when it comes to following my dreams!
Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
April:  I must make the time - I can find myself on a walk or exercising and have some thoughts flooding through my head and have to stop while I write them down. That's why I now have a notepad and pen in the exercise room. I find that an article or piece I am working on builds up, layer by layer and I keep working with it until I am satisfied I have said what I need to say. With small children, animals and clients, I tend to grab a bit of time whenever I can.
Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
April:  I guess there is really no one thing here that I would not want readers to know - I was a bit stressed about people not understanding what it means to be an Intuitive and wondering how I might explain this better. However it is all there in my books, so I am not talking about anything new. It is more difficult to talk about yourself then it is to write about your experiences - if that makes sense.
Paul:  If you are self-published, what led to you going your own way?
April:  From my standpoint, I am interested in 'energy' surrounding things. That being said, I wanted my own imprint on my books, my writing and my personal signature on all that I do. I have long felt that if my books were to be published by someone else - they would require input from others. This might dilute the message contained in these books and of course this is not what I want. From the beginning it has been self-publishing all the way for me.
Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
April:  Because I am relating something that has either taken place or writing about insights I have regarding the physical body, the food we eat and lifestyles we lead - these are broader concepts that I take and whittle down to an issue or discussion that might be of assistance to someone wanting to re-gain their health, walk a spiritual path, heal some physical or emotional condition and so forth.
Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
April:  I edit, edit and edit - also there is a research element to some of my work as well. So this might mean I am working on a piece about detoxing - I will look for other experts opinions about this and compare or contrast these ideas in my own work. I find I might write something then completely reorganize it to get it to read more clearly or to emphasize the points I need to make. Fortunately, years of studying, research and teaching/marking college papers has come into some benefit!
Paul:  Do you have to do much research for your books?
April:  Yes, there is always a research element to the pieces I am writing unless they are strictly from my own experience and I am wanting to emphasize that. For example I often talk about the human bio-energy field and would draw on my own experience. But if I am discussing the benefits of goat's milk or endurance exercise I would be pulling in other thoughts and information as well.
Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it
April:  My most recent book is called The Pagan Diet; Food, Fast & Feast. This is a book that came about after my own personal experiences with weight loss, fasting, detox and incorporating the old Pagan feast days into a lifestyle. My book is about how to be healthy, live while deepening a spiritual connection to nature, and using fasting to normalize body processes such as blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar. The more you detox and cleanse the more efficient your body will function as you heal inflammation and balance internal processes - I draw on my own years of experience living this way.
Paul:  What inspired you to write this book?
April:  I have always been a recorder - I have decades of journals having written down dreams for many years. When I start anything new I find myself compelled to write it down or record it in some way. It has been the same with my detoxes and cleanses - I have journals and diaries of each day over many years. After a while seeing people who were struggling with their weight or their health and knowing how beneficial detoxing is in each of these inflammatory states, I decided to compile my notes and writing into a book.
Paul:  How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’?
April:  The only real 'marketing' that might come about is from word of mouth - people seem to find me and see me as a professional Medical Intuitive first and then buy my books. Usually all of them! LOL Other than that I do have a flyer and use Twitter and Pinterest to talk about the work I am doing and what I am discovering on my own journey.
Paul:  What’s your favorite / least favorite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you?
April:  Once upon a time I used to do this for 'fun' - then when it became 'work' the dynamics changed and perhaps so did my own focus. I had to think more carefully about what I was writing, plan out my time more efficiently while still allowing the intuitive process to guide me. Some days it is hard to find time to get the writing done and I feel a thought has come and gone. This is perhaps the difficult part of writing while raising a family and following a sustainable lifestyle. What has surprised me is how much there is to say!
Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?

April:  When I am not writing I am doing each of the things I write about - I have a large medicinal herb garden as well as vegetables both winter and summer. We raise our own food animals – honey, eggs, meat and milk. We are also beekeepers and have our own natural design beehives. I home-school my children and have my clinic next door to the house, although most of the work I do is over the phone. So, my hobbies - kind of all blend into a lifestyle. As a party trick my intuitive abilities would have been seen as unusual!

Paul:  Thanks April, that was most fascinating. I wish you every success for the future.


About April Danann: April Danann is a Medical Intuitive, Clinical Nutritionist, and practitioner of Energy Medicine with a focus on Exercise Physiology and has many years of experience. She has received a BSc (Hons) in Food Management & Marketing, MSc in Nutrition and Exercise Science as well as diplomas in Nutrition, Medical Intuition and Food Packaging Technology.

April is in private practice combining her education and experience into assisting clients with diet, lifestyle and conscious living and does occasional talks in Nutrition, Energy Medicine and Medical Intuition. Her interest is in practitioner safety, weight loss, detox, inner child, energy attachments, candida or anti-fungal diets and is a skilled Medical Intuitive.

‘Who I am really, aside from what I have learned, experienced and the places I have been - is a person deeply committed to fully understanding my body, mind and soul on the deepest levels. My books, blogs and life are all about living as close to nature and health as possible.’

April's Blog: April Danann
April on Twitter: @DanannSpl4ces
April on Facebook: unknown
April's latest book: The Pagan Diet (Amazon)

Receive Special Offers, Discounts and FREE books!

1 comment:

  1. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep
    it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come
    back later on. Cheers

    My homepage ... best muscle building workout plan

    ReplyDelete