My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Author Interview: Anthony Izzo

Today I am pleased to present to you all the 93rd in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the Led Zeppelin mangling, Anthony Izzo, and our conversation went something like this:

Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals?
Anthony:  I try and write every day. Most of it is done on the fly with a laptop or pad and paper. My living room chair serves as a writing space. I work full-time and have a family, so I squeeze the writing in where I can.

Paul:  What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Why?
Anthony:  I love horror and crime novels. Some favorites are Stephen King, Bryan Smith, Blake Crouch, and Joe Konrath. I’ve also recently picked up and enjoyed books by Victor Gischler. They write the fast-paced, darker stuff that I love.

Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
Anthony:  Everything is fodder for a story. I write horror and dark thrillers so I tend to take ordinary things and try to imagine the worst-case scenario. Because of the dark stuff I write, my wife likes to joke that she sleeps with the light on.

Paul:  In all the years you’ve been publishing your work, what is the biggest mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it?
Anthony:  Letting fear take control. Fear of writing and submitting your work. You have to put yourself out there. It might be scary, but you’ll never reach an audience if you keep your work to yourself.

Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
Anthony:  Usually by grabbing a half-hour here or fifteen minutes there. It all adds up. If you can produce 3 pages a day, you can have a decent-sized novel in three months.

Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
Anthony:  Writing isn’t blood, sweat, and tears. Most of the time, it’s a lot of fun.

Paul:  If you are self-published, what led to you going your own way?
Anthony:  I love having control over what I write, the cover art, and the whole process. I had three novels traditionally published, and although it was a great experience, going indie has been a lot more enjoyable.

Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Anthony:  I start with about 60-70 plot points I want to hit. I figure out my beginning, middle, and end sections (I guess this would also fall under Three-Act Structure). I like to throw in twists and surprises as I go, and I’m never afraid to take the story in an unexpected direction.

Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
Anthony:  As time has gone on, I’ve learned to write a pretty solid story, so most of my editing deals with grammar, typos, and inconsistencies that crop up in the story.

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it  
Anthony:  My most recent release is a crime novella called Getaway. It’s about a mob wife who rips off her husband and goes on the run from a hitman and two crooked cops.

My next novel is Beat The Devil, the first in my John Childress series of thrillers. Childress is an ex-Navy Seal who gets recruited by a government agency to track down and kill a serial murderer named Raven. Beat The Devil Will Be Released mid-July.

Paul:  What inspired you to write this book?
Anthony:  I’ve been wanting to branch out into writing crime and thrillers for a while. I liked the idea of a shadowy government agency combined with fast-paced action. I also wanted to try my hand at a series and see where it takes me.

Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
Anthony:  I love to read. I do some drawing and sketching, mostly fantasy and horror art. I’m also known for mangling Led Zeppelin songs on the guitar.

Paul:  Thanks Anthony, that was great. I wish you every success for the future.

About Anthony Izzo: Anthony Izzo is the author of nine novels, including Evil Harvest and Forgotten. He graduated from D'Youville College in Buffalo, NY with a degree in English. His next release is the thriller Beat the Devil. When not writing, he enjoys reading, drawing, and playing guitar. He makes his home in the Western New York area.

Anthony's Blog: Anthony Izzo
Anthony on Twitter: @AIzzo
Anthony on Facebook: Anthony Izzo
Anthony's latest book: Getaway (Amazon)

Follow Paul Dorset:      

No comments:

Post a Comment