My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Author Interview: Alyssa Auch

Today I am pleased to present to you all the 68th in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the crafty Pinterest author, Alyssa Auch,  and our conversation went something like this:


Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals?
Alyssa:  I wish I had a scheduled day enough to have a ritual! I have three children 3 and under, and my day revolves around them. When I have the time to write, I just have to jump in and pound it out.

Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
Alyssa:  Corn and cheese. As in, unbearably amplified emotional scenes of action and romance and all kinds of drama. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of filters on the way down to my fingers... although sometimes it comes through in full force. My mother, also a writer, says you need a good “crap-o-meter” to be a writer.

Paul:  What is a typical day for you?
Alyssa:  Wake up when I hear my children squawking, get them ready for the day, catch up on emails while they watch some PBS, lunchtime craziness, children's naptime and my writing time IF my 3 month old isn't fussy, play with the kids, make dinner, clean up after the day, put the kids to bed, go for a run (sometimes... I mean really, the reason I run is so I can eat delicious food so... not a lot of dedication there), and then write.  

Paul:  Do you have a favorite character in each of your series, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why?
Alyssa:  I think Gavin is one of my favorite characters because he reminds me of my younger brother a little bit.

Paul:  In all the years you’ve been publishing your work, what is the biggest mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it?
Alyssa:  I'm brand new at this, so I don't have years of wisdom to impart. However, it took me longer to get published because the first round of queries I sent out contained a less-than-ideal edited novel. After I had a very dear friend comb through my work meticulously, and I worked harder on perfecting it, it was much more likely for a publisher to find it appealing. And they did!

Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
Alyssa:  When my children are sleeping!

Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
Alyssa:  I'm a Twihard!

Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Alyssa:  Oh yes, I plan them out as detailed as I possibly can. My husband is my “plot master,” and we spend hours going over my plot and finding possible holes.

Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
Alyssa:  I have to edit a lot. I am a young, brand new writer, and I have a tendency to be wordy. And corny. However, I do have a rule where I wait until the work is finished before I start tearing it to shreds. I would never get a novel finished if I allowed myself to edit at will. 

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it.
Alyssa:  Lunula is my first novel, and it is a YA fantasy based in the kingdom of Irador. It is about a witch, the only one born in 100 years, and the warlock of opposite powers she must run from or risk death at his hand. On a mission for her queen, she is captured by the warlock. The question then becomes, can she hide her identity from him long enough to escape and save her kingdom?

Paul:  Do you have any pieces of work that will never see the light of day?
Alyssa:  Sadly, yes. I wrote a novel when I was 16-18, and it was kind of my training novel. It was fun and really not bad, but it seems like it was written by a teenager.

Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
Alyssa:  I'm a crafty homemaker, and I hit up my Pinterest projects whenever I have a spare hour or two.

Paul:  Thanks, Alyssa. That was great. I wish you every success for the future.

About Alyssa Auch: Alyssa Auch was born and raised in Pennsylvania with loving parents and three hilarious younger siblings. Her imagination was sparked by the lush, green forests and bright colors of her home that often spoke of other worlds only found in the magic of writing. She brought that inspiration into the fantasy novels she so loves to create.
Currently, Alyssa is a senior at Brigham Young University-Idaho studying Marriage and Family Relations with a minor in English. She is married to her High School sweetheart, and they have three beautiful children who keep them both very occupied. Although her novels are often written in the late hours of the night and during cherished naptime blocks, she devotes a very special part of herself to the power of words and love of storytelling.

Alyssa's Blog: Alyssa Auch
Alyssa on Twitter: @alyssa_auch
Alyssa on Facebook: Alyssa Auch
Alyssa's latest book: Lunula (Amazon)

Follow Me:      

No comments:

Post a Comment