My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Sunday, October 28, 2012

Author Interview: Theresa Braun

Today I am pleased to present to you all the twenty-seventh in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the self-revealing Theresa Braun and our conversation went something like this:


Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals? 
Theresa:  A good aromatherapy candle needs to be burning and one of the cats needs to be nearby; often crime TV is on in the background.

Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see? 
Theresa:  They would see a swirling of passionate emotions regarding life past, present, and future; and they would see a battle between everyday life and bursts of creativity vying to be heard.

Paul:  How do you find the time to write? 
Theresa:  That makes me laugh, as I often wonder the same thing. I make it a priority, sometimes spending a little less time socializing. I also make use of every vacation and holiday.

Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers? 
Theresa:  That my book reveals a lot about the private me.

Paul:  If you are self-published, what led to you going your own way? 
Theresa:  I tried the traditional route and sent out oodles of query letters. After reading time and again how many rejections amazing writers endure before breaking out, I decided to self-publish. It seems a great time to do so, since ebooks are very popular and there is such a phenomenal support system for Indie authors.

Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it? 
Theresa:  I have a general idea of where I’m going and just run with it.

Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed? 
Theresa:  I would not describe my initial writing as fully formed. In fact, I get a first draft down, bring it in to my writing group to get feedback, revise, and then revise at least two more times. It’s surprising how many typos slip in there, even after taking a fine tooth comb through it.

Paul:  Do you have to do much research for your stories? 
Theresa:  I definitely check facts when I need to, but I didn't need to do much for my first book. My second book will be set in Renaissance England, so I am currently reading up on that time period to get the details right. It’s a blast.

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it. 
Theresa:  Groom and Doom: A Greek Love Story is my first novel, based on true events. It’s a quirky happily-ever-after fairy tale gone awry, complete with family drama and some ghostly elements near the end during the couple’s honeymoon in Venice.

Paul:  How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’? 
Theresa:  An incredible amount of time — hours a day. I think that’s one of the secrets about being self-published. One needs to request reviews, get out on social media, keep up with author interviews (J), etc. I’m trying to be as true to myself and my personality when doing these things, hoping that will naturally create a 'brand.'

Paul:  What’s your favorite / least favorite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you? 
Theresa:  One of the most exciting things is to get feedback from readers and reviewers. At first, I was terrified. What if they don’t 'get' my book? And, not everyone can like your book. That’s a reality. But it really is a thrill when someone does.

Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks
Theresa:  I love to travel, specifically abroad. Anywhere or anything old intrigues me, which is one of the reasons I antique shop. I try to read as much as I can and often wish I had more time for that. Ghost hunting and finding ways to relax are often on my mind. When’s my next massage or soak in a hot tub?

Paul:  Thank you, Theresa. I wish you all the best for the future.


About Theresa Braun: Theresa Braun was born in St. Paul, Minnesota and has carried some of that hardiness with her to South Florida where she currently resides. An English teacher and adjunct college professor for over thirteen years, she continues to share her enthusiasm for literary arts with her students. In her spare time, she enjoys delving into her own creative writing, painting, photography and even bouts of ghost hunting. Perhaps growing up in a haunted house in Winona, Minnesota is to blame. Traveling as often as possible is one of her passions. In fact, her world meanderings are often backdrops for her work.

Theresa's Website: Theresa Braun
Theresa on Twitter: @tbraun_author
Theresa on Facebook: Theresa Braun
Theresa's latest book: Groom and Doom (Amazon)




No comments:

Post a Comment