My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Friday, September 16, 2011

Eating Update: Dr. Esselstyn

Well, it's been nearly two complete weeks now since I switched to the Dr. Esselstyn diet. For those of you that are unfamiliar with it, it's basically a Vegan diet with a few extra limitations - no nuts and no oil. The idea behind it is that it will put your body in balance and lower your cholesterol, triglycerides and generally lead to a healthy heart (even reverse heart damage).

So, how have I done? Well, the good news is that I've managed to stick to it. There were moments, I can tell you, in the first week where I had my doubts. But, I've got to grips with it now and have found lots of really good and tasty things to eat. Of course, it really helps that I like curry! There are so many spicy vegetarian dishes I can cook up (just remember to use plenty of beans/lentils to get your proteins). The other thing I've been doing is to drink more water (with some supplemental vitamins). The results? 4.5lbs lost in 12 days. Of course weight always disappears faster at first, but nonetheless I'm very satisfied with my progress.

For those of you that think I have to eat a crazy diet, here's a sample of my daily meals:

Breakfast
Some Grape Nuts and some shredded mini-wheats with almond milk in a bowl
One cup of coffee

Snack
Some seaweed or sunflower seeds

Lunch
Salad (whatever you can find and try and include some beans) with a mustard vinaigrette dressing
Some fruit (whatever is fresh)

Snack
Maybe a Wasa bread if I get hungry

Dinner
Spicy vegetable curry (add beans and/or lentils) with basmati rice

Snack
Slice of bread (very low fat and whole multi-grain) with no-fat homemade hummus, tomatoes and onions

Lots of water to drink all day.

The good news is that I can still have a glass or two of beer or wine if I choose and there are actually lots of things I can snack on if I need.

The fridge has had a total make-over and the blender is now used on an almost daily basis. I also tend to make up large portions and package extra meals for other days.

So, here's to the next few weeks. I'll update you again as I near my next weight goal.. Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I am on day 26 and feel so good that I could be an evangelist for Esselstyn. The weight is dropping off of me and I need all new pants.

    ReplyDelete