My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Saturday, July 30, 2011

Melrose - First Blood (Progress #3)

The first post of the weekend is an update on how my writing of Melrose - First Blood is coming along.

The big news is that, as frequently happens, my book's name is changing. From now on, the book will be known as "New Blood (Melrose Book 1)". The next job will be to engage someone to design a cover for the book. It's always a fun process getting a book ready for release.

As I've said before, New Blood is something a little different from my usual genre of YA Fantasy. New Blood is aimed at older Young Adults - 16+. The book has adult themes and younger adult characters (22 -25 years of age). It's also set in contemporary times and touches on the paranormal. But, it's no vampire story (or if it is, then it's vampires like you've never seen them before!).

I'm currently 60,000 words into an 80,000 word novel and the book is winding up to it's major climax. Events have already risen to near fever pitch with exciting plot lines, and characters displaying all sorts of traits and trickery. My protagonist and antagonist are on the brink of getting together - something that will not end well I fear!

It's been a different experience writing a book based on places I know (as opposed to the land of fantasy in which I usually stay) and using characters that you may even meet on your next trip down the street (although there are certain characters I would hope you never meet - for your own sake).

Since I last wrote, Beau, the antagonist, has been rallying his allies and generally causing mayhem with all around him. Lucy, the protagonist, is upset at recent events and has somehow been thrown towards Beau. Lucy's friends have warned against it, and loyalties will no doubt be tested in the upcoming weeks. There are still mysterious bodies turning up and the police are narrowing in on a suspect. But those bodies were once living souls; souls that have now passed to another owner. Souls that are giving their new owners power. And we all know that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely...

I'm excited to finish this first Melrose novel and the intent is to have the draft manuscript complete in the next week or so. Then it will be a mad rush to get it edited and proofed, ready for a fall release. You'll have to watch out for opportunities to win early copies or invitations for reviewers. I definitely think this is my best novel yet...


Back to the plot... I'll give you more background next week. Until then, try a little of my fantasy stuff - buy a copy of Xannu - The Prophecy. It's only $0.99 for a full 125,000 word novel - that's a pretty good deal. It's available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords. Think Harry Potter meets The Chronicles of Narnia, during The Lord of the Rings!

No comments:

Post a Comment