My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Sunday, April 28, 2013

Managing To Write When You Work A Full-Time Job


It can be very difficult to keep yourself motivated to write when your days are busy and all that’s left to you are a few hours of free time either at the beginning or the end. I know this for a fact.

For the past two years I have been working a full-time office job and trying to write novels in my 'spare' time. Of course, spare time is really a joke phrase. I leave home at 5:30am and get back around 4:30pm, so that really doesn't leave a lot of time to write as well.

But, if you're determined to write, then you must carve out a time for it. I used to be an early morning writer (5am to 6am), but that isn't possible for me now. So, I've become a late-afternoon writer (5pm to 6pm). Then on weekends I try and write a little more. Thankfully, because I plan my plots, I can write around 1,300-1,500 words in my allotted hour, and that usually leads to around 10,000 words a week. Oftentimes I don't know how I manage to fit everything else in. There's all the plotting, a little marketing, editing of other books, etc.. I won't say it's easy to write and work a full-time job, but it is possible. You just have to be determined.

So I was wondering, what do you all do, those of you who write while keeping a full-time job, to keep yourself motivated to write? I have my schedule and I try to stick to it, but it sometimes seems more than a job than my day job. Even my free times at weekends gets taken from me!

Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to suck it up and do the best I can. Who said being an author was easy?

Follow Me:   

2 comments:

  1. Likewise Paul. After walking the dog I drive to work with the wife for 11am. We stay at work until about 9 or 10pm.

    Once home, wife cooks, I take poor dog out again and after clearing up the kitchen it's past 11pm. If the wife goes to bed then I might stay up and write for an hour.

    As for weekends, we have lots to do at work or occasionally attend seminars, training etc.

    When I do get free time, I'm usually too tired. Fortunately, I do have several books already half written which I am importing into Scrivener and manipulating. It's not writing, but it is preparing the book for writing!

    And no, I don't function in the mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I work from 7-7. Whether its day or night shift, so in the morning i will leave at 0530 and in the evening i get home around 8. When i have free time its spent writing.

    ReplyDelete