My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Friday, April 20, 2012

Writing Experiment #3 - Ready, Set, Go!

This is the third in a series of posts where I document the complete process of writing a novella - Day By Day!

So, it's nearly time to start writing the actual novella - I start writing tomorrow. As always when I start a new book, I'm a little nervous. I sort of know what I'm going to write, but I'm not 100% there yet. It will be a wonderful journey of discovery. Wish me luck...

For those of you that are new to this blog or the series, I'll recap the basics:

INTRODUCTION

I am documenting (via my blog) the complete start to finish experience of writing a novella that I will be releasing for FREE once it is written. The timeline for the experiment is as follows:

  • Plotting, Characters and Scene Outlines - April 1-20
  • First Draft Manuscript - April 21 to May 18
  • First Manuscript Edits - July 1-5
  • Reader Proofs - July 6-25
  • Final Manuscript Edits - July 26-31


STATUS
Today's Date: April 20th
Progress: So far I have sketched 65 of 84 total plot points (I needed to have sketched at least 60 before I started writing). I have a good idea of the plot and the main characters. It's time to 'make stuff up.'

DETAIL
The plot for Ryann (the name of the novella) is more-or-less complete (But I've left space for a few twists and turns that I will no doubt think of as I write). Ryann is the story of a thirteen year-old girl who works as a servant for a tyrant of a master, and longs for the day when she can buy her freedom. The novella will serve as the introduction to a new fantasy series that I will start writing in 2013.

I will be writing approximately 900 words per day and I will post each day's writing the following morning, unedited on my blog. This means you get to see my draft with all its original spelling mistakes, bad grammar, and clumsy sentences. Later in the process (July) I will also perform the edits online and publish the updated manuscript. Sounds like fun? I think so. Oh, and I will be writing the complete novella in Scrivener - a wonderful piece of software (and only $40) written especially for authors! Wish me luck...


No comments:

Post a Comment