My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Saturday, February 2, 2013

Author Interview: Katrina Avant

Today I am pleased to present to you all the forty-ninth in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the shy and introverted Katrina Avant, and our conversation went something like this:


Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals?
Katrina:  I try to make sure everything else is done before I start writing. I put my phone on silent and clear my mind of anything that doesn’t pertain to my characters of plot.

Paul:  What types of books do you read? Who are your favorite authors?
Katrina:  I read all types of books, from nonfiction to fiction and from mysteries to horror. My favorite author is Stephen King, the master of macabre.

Paul: If someone had the power to step into your creative mind, what would they see?
Katrina:  They would see characters and situations created from my personal conflict and growth.

Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
Katrina:  I make time to write. I have a full-time job, so after I get home, I carve out a few hours of writing time each day that may take me well into the next morning. Writing usually consumes my weekends until I have completed a book.

Paul:  What is the one thing that you how that I do not tell the readers?
Katrina:  By nature, I am shy, introverted. Writing enables me to create an alter-ego in order to put my creative self in print.

Paul:  If you are self-published, what lead you to go your own way?
Katrina:  I had done some research and found how difficult it was to be published by the traditional publishing houses. The process seemed long and tedious and in some instances impossible. I had stories to tell and I knew people wanted to read them, so self-publishing seemed the best way.

Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Katrina:  I get ideas and run with them. Plotting stifles my creativity, because somehow I feel obligated to stick with the plot. While running with an idea leaves possibilities open to roam free.

Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is fully formed?
Katrina:  I do a lot of editing. When I write, I do so without any corrections, because I don’t want to lose the ideas or the flow. I go back later, chapter by chapter correcting and molding ideas and characters.

Paul:  Do you have to do much research for your stories?
Katrina:  So far, I haven’t had to do a lot of research for my stories. Most of the plots and character personalities are from experiences, be it personal or observed. Each of my characters have bits and pieces of my life experiences and fantasies.

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little bit about it.
Katrina:  My most recent book is a suspenseful mystery, entitled: Give Me More Than Words. The story centers on lies and deceptions, within relationships. Justin Graham, a character introduced in a previous novel, finds himself living his life inside a scotch bottle, after agreeing to a marriage, which is built equally on deception and greed. Not able to stomach any more, he realizes he has to leave his wealthy, controlling wife. When he finally gets the nerve to leave, he thinks he is free from the drama, until the first attempt on his life.

Paul:  How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’?
Katrina:  I market in some way, shape, form or fashion every day. I use social media, my blog, paid advertisements; anything and anyway I can think of, to get Katrina’s works in front of people.

Paul:  What’s your favorite / least favorite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you?
Katrina:  My favorite aspect of writing is my ability to pound out chapter after chapter when I go into what I call my zone. I am able to pin-point where I am going with my characters when I can do this. My least favorite is that I don’t seem to have enough time to write. Because I have a full time job, I am only able to write when time permits. I'm hoping this will change very soon. The biggest surprise for me was that a lot of my support has come from strangers. People who I thought would have supported me did not.

Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
Katrina:  When I am not writing, I am reading other authors. I have been reading since I was four years old and that is my greatest and beloved hobby.

Paul:  Thank you, Katrina. I wish you every success for the future.


About Katrina Avant: Katrina Avant, a former hair stylist, is a native of eastern Arkansas. Her works are created from her traveling adventures, meeting unique people and her own personal experiences and deepest fantasies.

Katrina's Blog: Katrina's Works
Katrina on Twitter: @CaiteeCat
Katrina on Facebook: Katrina's Works
Katrina's latest book: Give Me More Than Words (Amazon)

Receive Special Offers, Discounts and FREE books!

No comments:

Post a Comment