My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Friday, March 22, 2013

Author Interview: TeaRon Watkins

Today I am pleased to present to you all the 58th in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the ever cool wannabe actor TeaRon Watkins and our conversation went something like this:


Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals?
TeaRon:  My biggest writing ritual is reading. I find that reading other authors' work inspires me to do my own thing and of course being competitive in nature, I try and do it a lot better than whoever’s work I read before.

Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
TeaRon:  I think that if someone were to step into my mind then they would first realize that they are in the gutters. Shortly after that they’d notice a field of question marks because I’m just guessing my way through this thing called life like anyone else.

Paul:  In all the years you’ve been publishing your work, what is the biggest mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it?
TeaRon:  The biggest mistake I’ve made in publishing so far is rushing a finished product. What people have to do is remember to live in the moment because time is such a precious commodity. There’s no sense in rushing it. Each and every time I revisit my first book I am constantly reminded that I could’ve taken a little more time to perfect it. 

Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
TeaRon:  I write out a schedule and plan ahead. Most importantly, I turn off my phone and disconnect from the internet. It’s all about eliminating myself from distractions and allowing my imagination to flow.

Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
TeaRon:  Well this is kind of a double edge sword don’t you think? LOL. I would hope that you don’t tell them that I’m a jerk or anything like that. I don’t want anyone thinking that I’m not as cool as I think I am.

Paul:  If you are self-published, what led to you going your own way?
TeaRon:  I hope that it’s a temporary thing because I think any serious self-published author truly wants a deal with a major publisher. I just think that some of things that I had to say starting out just wouldn’t fly if I was already signed to an established brand. I want to prove to publishers that I’m worth their time more so than anything having to do with money.

Paul:  * Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
TeaRon:  I think I start with a plot and then it tends to become an idea and I run with it. It never starts out that way, I always start out with an idea in mind and somewhere between start and finish I end up going with the flow.

Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
TeaRon:  I am anti-editing. What that means is that I’ll try and edit things like typos, misspellings and things of that nature but I never try and take away the raw and organic feel of what I say. I like for the reader to get that when I get lemons, I slice them and eat them because sometimes you just don’t have sugar to make lemonade.

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it.
TeaRon:  My most recent book is titled The Last Virgin and it’s about sex. LOL. More specifically, it’s about sexual tolerance and liberation. I explore topics such as teen pregnancy, sex at an early age, marriage and more. I wanted to take many things that people have experienced or know about but just haven’t talked about and I open up the floor for discussion with no regrets. It’s all about taking the dirt that society has piled up under their rugs and vacuuming under them.

Paul:  What inspired you to write this book?
TeaRon:  It was a sign of the times thing. I looked around and noticed how much technology has affected the advancement of sexual activity amongst the youth and I had to let people know that even with all that the world throws at you, you can remain strong in the face of adversity.

Paul:  Do you also write any poetry, non-fiction or short stories?
TeaRon:  I do write poetry. My first book, The Gift, was a collection of poetry that I had written over several years and since I’ve been known for that I’ve tried to include a little bit of poetry in all that I do. There’s even some exclusive original poetry that I’ve written for my latest book. Funny thing, I don’t consider myself a poet.

Paul:  Do you have any pieces of work that will never see the light of day?
TeaRon:  I need to go to rehab for writing. I write way too much and I save everything. It’s the art of the thing, you know? I just know that unless someone roams through all my things when I die and like puts them on display; most of the stuff I’ve written will be kept in the dark for a long time.

Paul:  How much marketing do you do for your published works or for your ‘brand’?
TeaRon:  I do as much as I can. Every little thing counts. From speaking to students at school to being a part of poetry slams and more. I just try and stay active and always stay out and about doing something. Who is going to spread the word about the man better than the man in the skin, right?

Paul:  What’s your favorite / least favorite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you?
TeaRon:  My least favorite aspect is the down time. Just like being an entertainer in any other field, it’s hit and miss. I pray that I’m able to always have a public that craves me being active and actually care whether or not I’m working on something new. That would be ideal.

Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
TeaRon:  It’s rare that I’m not writing, I try and make it a daily thing but whenever I’m not writing I’m usually just watching a movie or out and about pursuing my acting career. That’s something else that I hope to be successful at but my writing is the cornerstone of all that I do.

Paul:  Thanks TeaRon, that was very interesting. Good luck for the future.


About TeaRon Watkins: Author, entertainer, dreamer, achiever.

TeaRon's Website: The Real TeaRon Watkins
TeaRon on Twitter: @tearonw
TeaRon on Facebook: TeaRon Watkins
TeaRon's latest book: The Last Virgin (Amazon)

Follow Me:   

No comments:

Post a Comment