My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Saturday, November 10, 2012

Author Interview: Katrina Adrian Miller

Today I am pleased to present to you all the twenty-ninth in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with the secret fan-fiction writing Katrina Adrian Miller and our conversation went something like this:


Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals?
Katrina:  I can only write at night. The best ideas come to me after 10pm. This was a challenge for me when I was in college and had to be up for an 8am class.

Paul:  What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Why?
Katrina:  I’ve always loved historical fiction. As a kid I read and collected The American Girls Series. Each girl lived in a different time period from Colonial America to WWII (I still have them!). I also devoured the Little House on the Prairie series by the 4th grade. My love of historical fiction led me to write about it. My favorite book of all time is, To Kill a Mockingbird. Timeless novel. Atticus is a personal hero of mine.

Paul:  If someone had the power to step into your creative mind what would they see?
Katrina:  I like to “talk” to my favorite historical figures. It helps me become a better writer.

Paul:  What is a typical day for you? 
Katrina:  I get up around noon (I was up all night writing), eat lunch, fix a cup of coffee, feed my guinea pig, watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix, brainstorm a little, write a few pages of fan fiction for my AO3 followers, read whatever book I’m in the middle of, and head to the store if I need anything. Yeah, I’m boring. If it’s a Friday night, I’ll go to Dallas to see my friend at The Rocky Horror Picture Show. He’s in the cast.

Paul:  Do you have a favorite character in each of your series, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why? 
Katrina:  I’ve always been fascinated with the character of Mr. Mayberry. It’s not one of the lead characters, but he plays a major role in Alistair and Thomas’ life. He’s hiding a secret from Alistair, but he gives him plenty of hints throughout the novel

Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
Katrina:  I only write at night. I make time between 10 pm and 3 am. I usually have several cans of green tea beside the computer. I go through all the notes (if any) that I wrote throughout the day and write my latest chapter.

Paul:  What is one thing you hope I do not tell the readers?
Katrina:  I got my start writing fan fiction. Don’t worry, it wasn’t Twilight related like that 50 Shades of Grey author.

Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Katrina:  Ideas usually come to me at any time. I’ll be thinking about a historical event, a famous historical figure, or just anything really and an idea will come to me to write a story around it. The idea for, Falling in Love with the Enemy, came to me after I read a biography about my favorite band. I learned that two of the members were mortal enemies in high school and later became friends. I thought that was interesting. I just took it one step further.

Paul:  Do you have to do much research for your stories?
Katrina:  When I write historical fiction I like to do 3 months' worth of research

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it
Katrina:  My newest book, Retail Stories, will be out in January of next year. Since I was 18, I had the misfortune of working various fast food and retail jobs. I’ve had crazy customers, insane bosses and creepy co-workers. I’ve told my story and changed everyone’s name.

Paul:  What inspired you to write this book?
Katrina:  I think people need to know that words have a strong impact. I’ve dealt with crazy customers over the years and I don’t think they realize just how mean they can be. To them it’s all a joke, but when someone sits down and reads my book, maybe it will change them. All of my stories are real and all the conversations took place. I remember them well

Paul:  What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?
Katrina:  I like going out to the movies (Rocky Horror in Dallas), writing, eating out, and of course, sleeping. I could win an Oscar for sleeping.

Paul: Well thanks, Katrina. It's been a pleasure talking with you.


About Katrina Adrian Miller: Katrina D. Miller (Adrian) was born in Garland, TX. on January 27, 1984. She is an artist, writer, photographer and collector of vintage clothing. She likes to write fanfiction as well. You can find her other writing on DeviantART and AO3.

Her first book, Falling In Love With The Enemy is book number one in The Reincarnation Trilogy. It follows two men in the fictional town of Avoy, Georgia in the late 1800s. Each man is hiding a secret from one another and the entire town. The second book in the trilogy will be out in late 2013.

In between writing, The Reincarnation Trilogy, Katrina is writing two non-fiction books. Her new book, Retail Stories will be out in early January 2013. It chronicles her 10 years of working various retail and fast food jobs. Everything from crazy managers to insane customers. Her second non-fiction book will be out in early 2014, and the final chapter of The Reincarnation Trilogy will be out in late 2014.

She currently lives in a small town outside of Dallas with her guinea pig.

Katrina's Blog: Katrina Miller
Katrina on Twitter: @Kat_AdrianM28
Katrina on Facebook: Falling In Love With The Enemy
Katrina's latest book: Falling In Love With The Enemy (Amazon)

Receive Special Offers, Discounts and FREE books!

No comments:

Post a Comment