My Books

Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes


Saturday, December 22, 2012

Author Interview: Jackie Kingon

EDITOR'S NOTE: I offer all Indie Authors a chance to appear on my blog and receive some free publicity. Most authors embrace the opportunity and provide wonderful, insightful interviews. Others do not seem to want to take the time...

Today I am pleased to present to you all the thirty-ninth in a series of Author Interviews. Recently I sat down with Jackie Kingon, and our incredibly brief conversation went something like this:


Paul:  I like to start my interviews by asking if you have any writing rituals? 
Jackie:  No rituals but I try to write as early in the morning when my mind is fresh.

Paul:  What types of books do you like to read?
Jackie:  I like mild science fiction.

Paul:  Who are your favorite authors?
Jackie:  I enjoy Kim Stanley Robinson. His Mars trilogy brought the future closer.

Paul:  What is a typical day for you?
Jackie:  Get up about 8 AM coffee shower write. Lunch check email. Family business in the afternoon. Make dinner for my family. Then read or TV. That is if there are no extra things.

Paul:  Do you have a favorite character in each of your series, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why?
Jackie:  Right now my favorite characters are Jersey and Trenton. Jersey is a human woman but Trenton is the first human android. They are married. 

Paul:  How do you find the time to write?
Jackie:  I make time by ignoring things that can wait.

Paul:  If you are self-published, what led to you going your own way?
Jackie:  I believed that I had something different to say and that was humor in science fiction.

Paul:  Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Jackie:  I get an idea and run with it but along the way I plan some of the outcomes.

Paul:  Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
Jackie:  I do a lot of editing.

Paul:  Do you have to do much research for your stories?
Jackie:  I do some research. The internet helps a lot.

Paul:  What is your most recent book? Tell us a little about it.
Jackie:  Chocolate Chocolate Moons is a futuristic cozy mystery. 287 pound Molly Marbles goes to Neil Armstrong University on the Moon where her weight drops to 47.6 pounds. Along the way her favorite candy Chocolate Moons are poisoned. She discovers who did it plus finds a delicious antidote.

Paul:  What inspired you to write this book?
Jackie:  I always try to watch my weight and love to eat and cook. I am not overweight five foot tall and 115 pounds but it is a struggle not to gain. I love science fiction and lived near the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY.


About Jackie Kingon: Jackie Kingon is a teacher, writer and artist. She holds a Master’s degree from Columbia University Teachers College in New York City; a Bachelor of Arts from Lesley University in Cambridge, Massachusetts; and a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the School of Visual Arts in New York City where she won the outstanding student award.

She has published two articles in The New York Times on autism and learning disabilities and one feature piece about her experiences teaching in an inner city school in the south Bronx.

Her paintings have been exhibited in galleries in Washington DC and New York City including the Dactyl Foundation, Washington Project of the Arts, and the United States Embassy to the European Union in Brussels, Belgium. Three works are part of the Estee Lauder collection. She has been a member of the board of the Empire State Plaza Art Commission in Albany, NY and the board of the Friends of Vassar College art museum.

Her short stories have been published in Flying Island Press-Pieces of Eight, The Fringe Magazine and Static Movement Magazine. Kingon’s story for the blind, entitled “A Rose by Any Other Name,” was recorded by Voice Needs in League, TX.

Jackie Kingon lives with her husband in Bronxville, NY.

Jackie's Website: Jackie Kingon
Jackie on Twitter: @unknown
Jackie on Facebook: Unknown
Jackie's latest book: Chocolate Chocolate Moons (Amazon)

Receive Special Offers, Discounts and FREE books!

No comments:

Post a Comment